Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mentally Fat

Definition:"Where a person with skinny genes feels guilt and discomfort as their
balance between consumption and burning off tips heavily towards
consumption"

For those of us with Skinny Genes (and I don't mean tight denim for
those with spelling issues out there) this is a term that I have
developed and can be used by everyone. I use it when sitting around in
poor weather for days on end eating through hunger and boredom but
unable to do any reasonable exercise because of the conditions outside
(or laziness of course...) As I am unable, it seems, to get physically
fat, I become "Mentally Fat."
My dad, bless his cotton socks, makes me look like Arnold Swarzenegger -
the severity of this comment will only be evident to those of you who
know me or have seen photos. I am a lean bean and he is leaner. I
have inherited his Genes, and this means that I do not yet have the
pleasure of joining many of my friends in their middle aged spread and
that I have been the same weight for the last 18yrs (and will probably
still be the same in 18yrs...)
Slender Tim

Example of Gourmet Meal prepared by Tim

Example of high calorie food that has no detectable effect on Tim

As an unfortunate consequence of this I am, as Chris will testify, a
FEEDER. This means I love cooking and eating and encourage those around
me to do the same, expecting each person present to "do their duty" and
eat a portion similar to, if not larger than mine. Chris excels at this,
and our food waste bin has suffered accordingly.
So as we arrive at Siple Dome for the...er...near future (and beyond?)
then I am in recovery - after a week of standby in poor weather, only
managing a few laps of camp a day to keep mobile, I had become mentally
fat and am now determined to repent. I went running for the first time
in months today, something I do a lot at home, and it was good. VERY
GOOD. And should we get stuck here on standby, for a change, there will
be plenty more I am sure.
Mentally Fat? Not any more.

Tim (just so there's no confusion)
       With photo-documentation added by Christine (for illustration purposes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment